Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Artist Spotlight: JENNA BOGORAD

I sat down with the lovely and prolific Jenna Bogorad the other night for some wine and bread and pickles (!), and we chatted about her work and upcoming show at the Tin Can Ale House Tuesday, January 8th.

MAGIC BROTHERHOOD: Jenna, your show at the Tin Can features a collection of 60 drawings on Post-it notes. This is only half the entire collection!! How did you get into drawing on a small scale?
JENNA: Well, I went to art school in Boston and after school I got a little burnt out and focused on other things... It got to a point that I was focusing on so many other things that I just didn't have time for art and fell out of the loop completely. I moved back to San Diego and wanted to do something I loved, so I started doing something artistic everyday... the only way to get into [making art] again and do something for myself was doodling on Post-its, since I work a big girl desk job.

MB: So this is a work pasttime?
J: Yes, and it is the perfect outlet for doing art everyday. In fact, the one to two hours a day I spend doodling at work is how I justify getting paid to do art!

MB: That's great. So in a way, this rekindled your love for art again?
J: Yeah, definitely. I wanted to make 100 of them, and didn't want to do it for anyone but myself. It was a means to get back in the swing of things. But you know, pouring out any weird emotions I had onto paper and sharing it [via facebook and tumblr] I got a really good reaction from people. There was one drawing I did early on that was a rainbow and it said "fucker" underneath. I posted it and everyone who saw it thought it was funny and I thought, I'm not the only crazy person that finds really stupid shit funny! Even though I feel kind of isolated in the way I feel about things I feel like we all generally feel the same way.




There you have it, folks. Come check out 60 of these incredible little drawings Tuesday January 8th at the Tin Can Ale House, 9 pm.
Follow Jenna on instagram @jbogo or tumblr @nevergetcold

No comments:

Post a Comment